Sunday, February 8, 2015

Through others' eyes


Photography by David Sims for French Vogue August Issue n°949, modified by me

My first year of high school, I moved to Japan with my parents. I had lived in Detroit for the past four years – Detroit, Michigan, USA – and I had never been kept up at night by beauty or the quest of beauty as concepts. 

Beauty as a sociological matter never hit me as much as in Japan. The quest for beauty had never been so palpable. The quest for specific attributes, the quest to attain certain physical traits, comparing oneself to pale-skinny-big-eyed-girls who looked like they were twelve, seemed to be the rage. At least from where I stood. Suddenly, what I had always called pale became “fair”, and what I saw as unhealthy skinny became fashionably thin. At the same time, the tiny noses and thick black hair I envied weren’t enough for Japanese girls. Suddenly, it became clear that what seemed so obviously beautiful through my eyes, was a whole other set of adjectives through someone else’s. 

Living in Tokyo opened me up to countless encounters of incarnated quest for beauty. I became fascinated with the tendency to transform one's body to a new form. One would think the quest for beauty has never been so vivid than in the 21st century. Sure, the cosmetic industry, the plastic surgery empire, and constant innovations for new ways to mask our imperfections, enhance our perfections and glamour our traits, would be enough to conclude to that now is the era of metamorphosis. But the quest for beauty, and the recognition that beauty may be present in the human body, if exposed, has been present for centuries. Maybe even since the beginning of mankind. This is where it gets interesting. 

It seems that the representation of what beauty entitles has not been the same from one century to another. Let alone been unique within one era. The first representations of mankind were found on tombs. Maybe this is when the quest for beauty began. Yet, the criteria beauty was judged upon were probably, evidently, different.

I find fascinating how relative beauty criteria are. Who is beautiful, what is beautiful, am I beautiful. And it seems to be the talk on everyone's lips today. More and more we turn to beauty we had not considered. We look at different, we look at atypical, we look at deformed, and wonder if it wouldn't also be beautiful. Or rather she, or he, wouldn't also be beautiful. The relativeness of beauty criteria fascinate me. So do the attempts to look at new ways we can celebrate the human body. New ways we can transform it. That's all part of the quest for beauty. Dressing the body up, putting make-up on, tattoos, implants, body creams, gels, serums, powder, foundation, lipstick. Exfoliating, pulping, firming, hydrating, lighting. We have developed an infinite set of words to describe how we transform the body. Such a set comes with a palette of possibilities to alter the human form to pursue beauty. But upon different criteria.

Such differences are even more current with globalization. There is a gradual realization that there is not only one ideal beauty, but rather a multiplicity of beauties. I will try to explore the ways we, as humans, view beauty, its criteria, its leading issues, depending on the time period, but also on geography and culture. Try to grasp the underlying elements of the quest for beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment